Thursday, June 19, 2008

past and future books


Of all the children's books I've read, Madeleine L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time, is the one I remember most fondly. I checked it out several times from my grade school library, and never tired of it. I can easily recall many of the books I loved as a child, and I know those experiences made me into the voracious life-long reader I am today.

I'm always interested to hear about books people enjoyed reading as children and teens, so when ReadWriteWeb provided a link to a forum where college-age 'kids' discuss their favorites, I rushed over. It's fascinating: L'Engle's book is mentioned, as well as Dr. Suess and Shel Silverstein, two more of my favorites authors.

One of the responders wrote that she still picks up her favorite children's books when she's feeling blue. Everything old is new again. Or, it never went out of style in the first place.

Leave a comment telling us about your favorite children's books.

Related post
book list: the game

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Wrinkle" is one of those books I've read at least once a year since I was a fourth grader! (I get my fix now using it as an end of the day read-aloud with my fifth graders along with Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia series.)

What I like most about L'Engle's Time Quartet series is that as I matured as a reader they led me to seek out L'Engle's non-fiction and poetical works...which, of course, led to all sorts of other reading.

Hmmm...summer break...maybe I should pick it up again! :)