Saturday, May 24, 2008

In my sights: Google Sites




If you're still searching for the perfect internet platform for your class announcements and lessons, you need to check out Google Sites, a wonderful web portal for the classroom.

First, a little history. A couple of years ago Google acquired Jotspot, a wiki application. Back in February, the developed application was released for Google Apps users as Google Sites. Now, Google Sites is available for anyone to use.

I've set up an @edu site, as a place where I can keep all of my lesson plans, discussions, and the various media attached to them. Google Sites easily incorporates documents, photos, videos, slideshows, and a host of gadgets, which is one of the reasons I'm so impressed with it. Another reason is that its intuitive interface is very easy to use.

I hope you'll visit my @edu Google site often, as I will continue to update it with insights and lesson plans from my blog. It still needs a bit of work, but it already feels like home.

Here is Google's video, introducing Google Sites:

1 comment:

Matt Harmless said...

I use Google Apps. I have been having my students work on a history project for another teacher using the sites feature. They are currently working on making a site for an assigned president.